2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
From the earliest record of man’s history on Earth in Genesis, all the way to the future revelation of his history written in advance in Revelation we have the workings of man’s enemy satan revealed as a “Deceiver” whose chief weapon is deception. He ceaselessly tries to lie to people to get them to believe what is not true or accept what is false as true. Those who are deceived are wrong yet they think they are right. The Word of God warns of deception being widespread in many areas of life. Second Timothy 3:13 declares that in the Last Days perilous times includes deception from evil deceived men, “But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.”
Jesus, in warning of the prominence of deception in the end times prior to His Second Coming, also said it would be in connection with spiritual things in Matthew 24:4-8:
1. Concerning Christ and His Coming.
2. Concerning prophets and their messages.
3. Concerning supernatural things.
Just being a good person is not a safeguard. Goodness alone is no guarantee of protection from deception. Adam and Eve were good and Peter was good but they were deceived. We wouldn’t need warnings if just being good alone was enough. We must realize we all can be deceived 1 Corinthians 10:12. The Spirit of God further develops the warning about deception in the first and second letters written to Paul’s son in the faith, Timothy. The deception will cause some to depart (to stand off; withdraw from; fall away; apostatize; abandon; absent oneself from; stand aloof or depart from) from the faith. The Spirit gave this warning in stated, specific, explicit terms so that the warning would be clear. The Spirit adds that evil men and seducers (mind deceivers) shall wax worse and worse deceiving and being deceived in 2 Timothy 3:13.
In summarizing what the Spirit of God reveals about the nature of deception or what the revelation from the Spirit acknowledges is:
1. Deceiving forces do exist.
2. Their efforts will include being toward believers.
3. It will cause some to depart from and abandon what they once believed.
4. It will be a covered working of both seduction and deception so that the deceived person will be wrong thinking they are right.
5. The nature of the deception will be lies direct to the mind and indirect through men.
6. It will be in the sphere of teachings or doctrine.
7. Two effects of the doctrine (1 Timothy 4:1-4) will be to:
a. Come against God ordained institutions (marriage).
b. Come against God ordained creations (food or other God created things).