One of the real blessings of celebrating a New Year is in using it as a focus point for evaluation and then a starting point for a fresh start for the year to come. It is about to be a new year according to the calendar but it can also be a new year in our experience with the Lord. God has already planned fresh new things for us and a New Year from Him is waiting on us to possess by faith. First we need to take inventory of our life or check ourselves:
- Examine yourself to see if there are things you need to put away, purge, or prune 2 Corinthians 13:5. This would include things not pleasing to God, situations you’ve been involved in that grieve the Holy Spirit or the “Holy Guest” who lives inside.
- Remove unprofitable things 1 Corinthians 6:12. Things not necessarily sinful but no longer useful. The issue is not how bad is it but what good is it. These unprofitable things can become weights that hinder our progress.
- Put restrictions on yourself Romans 13:14. Don’t make provision for your flesh to cause you to fail and learn to say “no” to some stuff. Things you will not say, actions you will not do, places you will not go, and bad company you will not keep.
- Remove all mixture or anything contrary to purity 2 Corinthians 6:14-17; 7:1. Are there things in your life you know are contrary to purity? Quit hiding it and cleanse yourself. God’s super highway with a fast lane for progress is a highway of holiness Isaiah 35:8-10.
- You take the first step James 4:8. If we take the first step God will come toward us.