Psalm 112:1 Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in his commandments. 2 His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed. 3 Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.
The Christian life is truly a blessed life. Christians use the word “blessed,” in many different ways to define our favored position which is in Christ (Ephesians 1:3). The Bible also uses the word “blessed” in connection with the man that fears the Lord and keeps His commandments (obeys His Word). The fear of the Lord is not a dreading fear, tormenting fear, or a phobic fear but a reverential and respectful attitude before the God of the universe. It is walking in a continual awareness of being in the presence of a holy, righteous, all powerful God. All of our thoughts, desires, motives, words, and actions are open before Him and we are ultimately accountable to Him.
Walking in the fear of the Lord is living out our life with the assurance that God is watching and walking with a consciousness of His presence. The following verses declare these truths:
- “If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are,” 1 Corinthians 3:17.
- “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own,” 1 Corinthians 6:19.
- “And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people,” 2 Corinthians 6:16.
- “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee,”Psalm 119:9-11.
- “For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him…” 2 Chronicles 16:9
- “For his eyes are upon the ways of man, and he seeth all his goings.” Job 34:21
- “For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.” His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins. He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.” Proverbs 5:21-23
- “The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.” Proverbs 15:3
- “For mine eyes are upon all their ways: they are not hid from my face, neither is their iniquity hid from mine eyes.” Jeremiah 16:17
- “… for thine eyes are open upon all the ways of the sons of men: to give every one according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.” Jeremiah 32:19
- “… the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth.” Zechariah 4:10
- “Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.” Hebrews 4:13
Proverb 9:10 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.” The fear of the Lord creates an awareness of God’s presence and gives knowledge of the holiness of God. We are to perfect holiness in the fear of the Lord. That is why it is a valuable key to perfecting holiness in our lives (2 Corinthians 7:1).