All of life, including work, must find its meaning and purpose from God and His Word. The church for the most part has failed to proclaim the whole counsel of God as it addresses work and work issues leaving believers to be influenced by humanism in their approach to work. Former cultures, like the Greeks and Romans, were notably condescending in their view of work, calling any kind of manual labor “the lot of slaves” and calling “all craftsman vile by nature.” The first century church had problems with work to the point that the Apostle Paul had to remind them that in God’s kingdom working is a prerequisite to eating.
The Bible says that the Kingdom of God is not meat nor drink but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost Romans 14:17. As Christians we are called to seek first the Kingdom and be an influence (salt and light) in the world. That Kingdom extends into all spheres of life, including work, on a job, or in an organization. We need to have a Kingdom work ethic motivating us as we do work. Here are some principles to think about to help develop a Kingdom work ethic into our life:
- SEE WORK AS A GODLY ATTRIBUTE Genesis 1.
In Genesis 1, we see Him as a Creator, at work. He has rested from His initial creation labor but His redemption work goes on every day.
- REALIZE GOD GAVE ADAM A JOB BEFORE A FAMILY IN THE GARDEN Genesis 2:15.
Work is not a curse; it was before the curse. Curse came from Adam not working, not acting, and not doing his job of keeping the Garden.
- WORK IS SPIRITUAL AND AN EXTENSION OF OUR WALK Colossians 3:23, 24.
We are to work as unto the Lord. The reward of the inheritance is connected to our work.
- THERE IS A BLESSING FROM GOD ON THE WORK OF OUR HANDS Deuteronomy 28:8, 12.
Work apart from God has no meaning and is what Solomon called vanity not work itself Ecclesiastes 5, 6. Include work as a place God is to rule your life.
- WE ARE TO BE FRUITFUL AND PRODUCTIVE (Titus 3:14) TO AVOID BEING DISORDERLY AND OBLIGATED TO OTHERS 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15.
- WE ARE TO WORK TO WALK HONESTLY IN FRONT OF UNBELIEVERS AND SO THAT WE HAVE NO LACK 1 Thessalonians 4:11, 12.
- WE ARE TO WORK TO HAVE MONEY TO GIVE Ephesians 4:28; WORK IS A WAY TO GATHER OUR SEED FOR SOWING.
- WE ARE TO WORK WITHOUT A BOSS Ephesians 6:5-9, FOR THE BOSS LIVES INSIDE.
- WE ARE TO WORK AS A PART OF OUR STEWARDSHIP AND TO BE PRODUCTIVE Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-27.