Many of God’s men and women are stressed out and burning out because they’re burning by their own fire. Burning by the Lord’s fire won’t burn you out. When the Lord appeared to Moses in the burning bush, “… the bush was not consumed Exodus 3:2.” It may be time to de-stress with some wisdom and principles from the Bible.
Some cures for stress:
- Refuse to live in the past and neglect feeding your bad memories; (whatever you feed grows and we can feed our bad memories or our dreams).
Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Talk to God and petition Him about the situation and refuse anxiety
Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- Control your thoughts; it is “your” mind and just as much under your control as “your” hand.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- Apply what you’ve learned, received, heard, and seen (do something with what you know).
Philippians 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
- Learn contentment – more, bigger, better isn’t always necessary
Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- Don’t compare yourself with anyone else and get competitive.
2 Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
- Learn to stay within the boundaries God has set for you (None of us are called to do it all; the Lord is under no obligation to bail us out if we attempt to do more than He has assigned us to do).
2 Corinthians 10:13 But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you. 14 For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ: