1 Corinthians 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
God has a purpose, plan, and assignment for every Christian. The work of the ministry of the church is to be done by the entire Body of Christ and God designed it to be that way. Many Christians want to find their place in the Body and do God’s will or purpose, but how do you find your place or God’s will? One powerful way to find your place is in identifying the spiritual gifts God has given you. Spiritual gifts are powerful enabling gifts that allow Believers to function in the work of the ministry.
All members have gifts (Romans 12:6; I Peter 4:10). All members have a place (1 Corinthians 12:18). All members have a function (Ephesians 4:16). Aside from God’s Word and His Spirit leading us, if we know what gifts He has given us, it is a powerful indicator of what He expects of us. Sometimes Believers seek to know God’s will/plan without thinking His will is written in our very beings. We can perceive His will when we discern our gifts. Our purpose is built into us by Divine design as the workmanship or product of God (Ephesians 2:10)
- SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE DIVINE GIFTS OF GRACE.
- They give special ability for service to the Body and ministry to the world.
- They are gifts given us to help others not to build our self-esteem.
- Gifts in Romans 12:6, Ephesians 4:8, and 1 Corinthians 12:28 is the Greek word “charismata,” which is defined as a gift of grace, Divine gratuity, spiritual endowment, or miraculous faculty.
- SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE NOT THE SAME AS TALENTS.
- Talents come from natural birth; gifts come from spiritual birth.
- Spiritual gifts are not souped up talents or anointing on our talents. Talents can be dedicated to work for God, of course, but gifts are not natural talents.
- SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE NOT THE SAME AS CHARACTER OR THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT.
- Gifts are given according to grace not character or maturity.
- Gifts are self-manifesting and outward manifesting whether a person is mature or not. You know them by seeing them (There is no question, they are obvious; and there is no pretending).
- As a gift it is not earned, worked for, or grown.
- SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE RECEIVED WHEN WE RECEIVE GRACE Romans 12:6; 1 Peter 4:10.
- Our gifting determines our place in the Body of Christ so to be without a gift is to be without a place.
- Gifts (charismata) are grace gifts or gifts of grace that come with the package of salvation.
- Each one of us is given a measure of Jesus’ gifts of grace Ephesians 4:7.
- SPIRITUAL GIFTS CAN BE MOTIVATIONAL, MINISTRY, OR MANIFESTATION GIFTS.
- Motivational Gifts Romans 12:3-9. (Gifts of the Father)
- Ministry Gifts 1 Corinthians 12:28; Ephesians 4:11 (Gifts of Jesus)
- Manifestation Gifts 1 Corinthians 12:7-11. (Gifts of the Holy Spirit)
Every member of the Body of Christ is gifted in some way but not the same way. Our gifts are for functioning in serving others or for doing the work of the ministry. By God’s plan and design, there are no unused members.