What power do we as Christians have to change our lives or the lives of those in our world? Are we at a loss as to what to do about the problems all around us or in our own lives? Do we always have to be “a day late and a dollar short”? Our God is a God of power (Ps.62:5) and he is the Almighty God. What is power? Power is ability and capacity. Capacity makes capable what is needed. We have all the power, the ability, the capacity we could ever possibly need to face anything but very often we lack the spiritual awareness and perception of what we have. It takes the Spirit of God to unveil these things to us.
We could have received Jesus (saved) and the baptism of the Holy Ghost (speak in other tongues like they did on Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4) and still not be fully aware of the power God has made available to us. The people of Ephesus were saved and baptized with the Holy Ghost but the Apostle Paul told them that even after their initial connection to power (Acts 19:1-6) these believers still needed a revelation. It is a “yet to be” knowledge of and experience of power like what was displayed in the Resurrection.
Paul prayed in Ephesians 1:16-23, “Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; 17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, 19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to usward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, 20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
- Power (authority) over the devil (Lk. 10:19)
- Power (the means) to get wealth (Dt. 8:18)
- Power to make our way prosperous (Josh. 1:8)
- Power to dominate sin’s power (Rom. 6:14)
- Power to abound in hope (Rom. 15:13)
- Power to witness (Ac. 1:8)
- Power ready to be revealed to keep us, guard us (1 Peter 1:5)
- Power to heal and do good (Ac. 10:38)
- Power in our spirit to not be intimidated, to love, think soundly (2 Tim. 1:7)
- Power in weaknesses (2 Cor. 12:9, 10)
- Power that is exceedingly great (Eph. 1:19)
- Power working in us (Eph. 3:20)
- Power to be strong and mighty against the enemy’s wiles and warfare (Eph. 6:10)
- Power to strengthen us for patience and longsuffering with joy (Col. 1:11)
We have all the power we could ever possibly need but very often we lack the spiritual awareness and perception of what we have Eph.1:16-23.