Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
Ephesians 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
Today is a day we are to honor our mothers who deserve our honor every day. To honor means to esteem highly, to give weight or value to, to make important in your life, and to defer to the favor of. Here are some practical expressions of honor:
- Respect and show consideration for them.
- Don’t take them for granted. (Taking someone for granted means we benefit from their help without acknowledging them or saying thanks for all they do).
- Give physical help to her for all she is responsible for as well as help her get more time for God and for herself.
- Listen to her and talk with her. (Shutting her out of your life and ignoring her can be the cruelest dishonor).
- Have realistic expectations of her for she is human too.
Honor and bless your mother today and every day. Pr. 30:11 says, “There is a generation that curses their father and doth not bless their mother.” Don’t be that generation!