Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the BOOKS were opened: and another BOOK was opened, which is the BOOK of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the BOOKS, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the BOOK of life was cast into the lake of fire.
The Book of Revelation is a part of the New Testament revelation which also makes it a part of the word of His grace Acts 20:32 and applicable truth for the Church Age. In the following verses (Revelation 3:5; 13:8; 17:8; 20:12, 15; 21:27; 22:19) it gives us illumination of books that God must keep a record of who has salvation, who does not have salvation, and their works (good and evil). There are at least three books, one called the Book of Life, and at least two others called the Books of Works. From reading these verses we can gather:
- Names are written in the book of life from before the foundation of the world (God knows in His foreknowledge who would receive salvation not who He chooses).
- Names are not written in the book of life from before the foundation of the world (God knows in His foreknowledge who would choose to reject His plan of salvation).
- Names are blotted out of the book of life (what was once written is erased and obliterated).
- There are books of works (possibly two, one for good works and one for evil works; maybe several books to show the thoroughness of the accounting) at the Great White Throne Judgment that will be used to judge men according to their works.
- The Book of Life is at the Great White Throne Judgment (which is the place of judgment for those who reject salvation). Why have the Book of Life (which is for those who accept salvation and have eternal life) at this event if God knows in advance those whose names are in it and that all who are judged to eternal damnation are the only ones at the Great White Throne Judgment? There may be other reasons you know of but I can think of three possibilities:
- To show the unsaved their names are not in it.
- To show those whose names were once in it but were blotted out.
- Perhaps to show the unsaved that space was provided for them by God’s choice and plan but it is was their choice to reject it.
Knowing these truths, both their reality and finality, how can we remain silent and not share the Gospel?