2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
Purpose is the original intent of the Creator for the thing created. It is the “why” behind the existence of something. God has a purpose for everything including you and me. Our purpose comes with a calling. All Believers are called according to His purpose 2 Timothy 1:9. A calling is a summons and invitation requiring a response. God drafts no one. There is a time of His choice and calling when He knows it but we do not (Ephesians 1:4). There is a time of His choice and calling when we come to know it which requires a response on our part (Galatians 1:15, 16; Acts 26:13-19).
The calling of God is to:
- Salvation Romans 8:28-30; 1 Peter 2:5.
- Sanctification 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 5; 5:23, 24.
- Sonship (relationship; fellowship; rights and responsibilities) John 1:12; 1 Corinthians 1:9; 1 John 3:1.
- Service John 15:16; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:18, 28; Ephesians 2:10.
- Saved to serve not just sit.
- Saved to produce not just consume.
- Saved to add to life on Earth not just take from it.
- It is “service” not “serve us.”
- It is “Whose needs can I meet” not “Who is going to meet my needs.”
- It is a call to be a full-time Christian. A non-serving Christian is a contradiction of terms.