As human beings relating to one another, we use words primarily for communication. Words have a higher function than just communication. We need to get the eyes of our understanding illuminated on the power of words from how God uses them or what He said words are used for, rather than just how humans use them. This will allow us to view the use of words on a higher level than just communication. Some of the things God reveals about words:
- GOD USES WORDS TO RELEASE FAITH Genesis 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 24, 26, 29.
Hebrews 11:3 describes all of this in Genesis in Creation as being done through faith. We too can use words as faith speaking spirit beings. Our words released in faith can receive all the provisions of grace that God already created for us in Christ Jesus.
GOD USES WORDS TO BLESS Genesis 1:22, 28; 2:3; 5:2; 9:1, 28; 12:3.
To bless means invoke divine care for; to confer prosperity, good health or happiness upon; to wish good fortune; to empower to prosper. We can bless with our words.
- GOD USES WORDS TO MAKE PROMISES BY COVENANT Genesis 15:8-21; 17:1-11.
To promise by covenant sets up a binding agreement and relationship of responsibility between God and man. Words are His bond or oath. They are His commitment to do what He promised Numbers 23:19.
- GOD USES WORDS TO ACTIVATE SPIRITUAL LAWS Proverb 18:21; Romans 8:2.
God said words activate spiritual laws whether death or life, whether it is the law of sin and death or the law of the spirit of life. Our words are very powerful in influencing our life. They either work for us or against us.
- GOD SAID IN THE SPIRITUAL REALM WORDS CAN BE USED AS THE MEDIUM OF EXCHANGE FOR SPIRITUAL TRANSACTIONS Proverb 10:20
Proverbs 10:20 says, “…the tongue of the just is as choice silver.” Valuable like silver, yes, but also like money in the economic system is used as the medium of exchange for transactions to take place, in the spiritual system words are the medium of exchange for spiritual transactions. Let words work for you like money or silver—invest them. Treasure words like silver—guard them. Make spiritual transactions with them.
- GOD USES WORDS TO CONVEY OR TRANSFER THOUGHTS Isaiah 55:8-11.
We can picture and know what God wants and thinks. We think in pictures and words can paint pictures in our heart from what is in God’s heart. They are like inner image transferring devices.
- GOD USES WORDS AS SEEDS THAT CONTAIN THINGS Mark 4:14, 26.
Faith comes by hearing the Word (Romans 10:17) because words like seeds contain what is put in them (faith; life; health…).
- GOD SAID BELIEVING AND SPEAKING WORDS IN FAITH CAN REMOVE THINGS AND RECEIVE THINGS Mark 11:23, 24
- GOD SAID WORDS, THOUGH SMALL, CAN TURN BIG THINGS AROUND James 3:2-8.
A small bit turns about a (big) horses’ body; a small helm ((rudder) turns about a large ship. Our words, though small in comparison to what needs turned around in our life, can turn things around.
- GOD CAN USE OUR WORDS TO CHANGE OUR SEASON Luke 1:26-38.
Mary’s season changed when God presented a divine appointment/opportunity to her and she expressed her will with her words by saying, “Be it done unto me according to thy Word.”
- GOD SAID WORDS CAN BRING HEAVEN’S SALVATION DOWN TO MAN Romans 10:8-10
The salvation Jesus provided isn’t something we need to go up to Heaven to get. When we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in our heart that God raised Him from the dead, it brings salvation down to us. The word that brings salvation is as the Scripture tells us, “… the word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart… Romans 10:8.”