Genesis 12:2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: 3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all FAMILIES of the earth be blessed.
Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my CHURCH; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
God’s original creation was a family (Adam/Eve) taking dominion and bearing God’s image and likeness. Through sin, the family lost God’s image, likeness, and dominion and every imaginable family problem was introduced. Through Calvary’s Cross, God would redeem man and restore His original intent through a new family, the Church. The family and the Church should not be played against one another as an either or proposition. Assembling as the Body of Christ at Church is, of course, not the sum total of what Christianity is all about. We are the Church which is the Body of Christ but part of being the Church is going to church. God intended the strength of the family to support the Church and for the strength of the church to support the family. The Local Church itself is a family you belong to not just a place you go to.
What’s more important, the Church or the family? How about both? Did you ever notice that the first thing Noah did after the flood that he and his family were saved from was to build an altar and worship God. Genesis 8:20, 21 says, “And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. 21 And the Lord smelled a sweet savour; and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake; for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more everything living, as I have done.” The Ark is a type of Jesus but also has application to a type of Church. If it wasn’t for the Ark, Noah wouldn’t have had a family.
Here’s some reasons we should honor and fight for the FAMILY and the CHURCH:
- It’s in the Church where the gates of hell will not prevail against us Matt.16:18.
- It’s in the Church where the Family will regain God’s original image and likeness Eph. 1:22, 23.
- It’s in the Church where the Family is preserved and protected Gen. 6:1-10; 7:1, 2; Ex. 12.
- It’s in the Church and Family where the blessing of God is extended to Gen. 12:1-3; 18:18, 19; Gal. 3:16, 29.
- It’s in the Church and Family where God intended to reveal Himself, give instruction, and would be the key to a nation’s survival Deut.6;11.
- It’s in the Family where Godlike character is produced, faith is modeled, (2 Tim. 1:5) and all ministry for the Church is proven 1 Tim. 3:4, 5.