God’s grace is the only thing that can create true character in giving. God loves a “whatever it takes” giving attitude and only God’s grace can elevate us to this. Take some time to read 2 Corinthians 8 and 9 which are on the topic of giving offerings and grace giving.
When God’s grace infuses and impacts our giving, it will be characterized by these gracious attitudes:
- JOY – 2 Cor. 8:2, They were delighted and glad to give.
- GENEROSITY – 2 Cor. 8:2, They were generous, unselfish, not penny‑ pinching tightwads; not just enough but ample.
- SACRIFICE 2 Cor. 8:2, 3 – They gave beyond what they were expected or anyone thought possible.
- EAGERNESS 2 Cor. 8:4, 7, 8 – They pleaded for the chance to give. They didn’t need to be begged.
- PERSEVERANCE 2 Cor. 8:10 ‑12 They made a commitment to give a year prior and persevered and followed through with their commitment.
- WILLINGNESS 2 Cor. 8:12; 9:2 – They acted of their own accord. It was their own heart prompting and initiating them.
- INTEGRITY 2 Cor. 8:20, 21 – The leadership wanted to handle the money with openness and accountability.
- CHEERFULNESS 2 Cor. 9:7 – It means to give with readiness of mind and a promptness to do anything, as well as hilarious “happy to.” It means to be favorably inclined or disposed to do something.