2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
In the Last Days, called perilous times (2 Timothy 3:1), there will be a rise of false doctrine so BEWARE. Doctrine is teaching, instruction, and that which is taught. Many Christians feel doctrine is boring, dry, and doesn’t meet their emotional needs but it is really the anchor that their emotions need because that is the realm deception always operates in. Satan’s deception, that penetrates the mind and emotions, enters through the door of false doctrine or teaching which the Bible warns us about for the Last Days. No one has the right or authority to suggest that we can live less than what the Bible presents as the standard for right living.
The Apostle Paul by the Spirit of God in writing to his son in the faith Timothy tells us that satan’s deception will enter in among the ranks of the professing Church through false doctrine. This implies that people of the Last Days will have an aversion to sound doctrine, for they will not endure, bear up under, or tolerate it. If you are a preacher dedicated to sound doctrine this may make your job very difficult and you may be surprised at how popular false teachers will become. Second Timothy 4:3, 4 says, “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts (desires) shall they heap to themselves (accumulate further/seek additionally) teachers, having itching ears. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables (speech, conversation, myth, legend, untrue stories and tales).” In contrast, sound doctrine penetrates to the spirit of a man and makes it strong and dominant.
From 2 Timothy 3:14-17 and 2 Timothy 4:1-4 we can detect that:
- SOUND DOCTRINE is from ALL Scripture or the Word of God 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; 4:2.
- SOUND DOCTRINE mentions coming judgment and future things 2 Timothy 4:1.
- SOUND DOCTRINE may be in season or out of season with the way people are living 2 Timothy 4:2 (or it may be convenient or inconvenient to hear).
- SOUND DOCTRINE includes reproof, rebuke, and exhortation 2 Timothy 4:2.
- SOUND DOCTRINE has elements of truth in it you may have to endure, bear up under and tolerate 2 Timothy 4:3.
- SOUND DOCTRINE is provable from the Scriptures 2 Tim. 3:14-17 so we can continue in what we’ve learned. False doctrine tends to only connect you to the “special” false teacher who teaches it.
If what you are hearing taught or if you are going to a church and you never hear teachings that include these things you may not be getting sound doctrine.