Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Do you realize that every person believes something and there is no such thing as “non-belief?” Believing is the single most common thing we do as human beings. Why? If God desires that we all come to know Him and come to Him on the basis of believing (Hebrews 11:6) then it is only logical that “believing” should be accessible to everyone and everyone be capable of it.
We are “believing” more than we do anything else besides breathing. Often we are “believing” or “using our believer” without realizing we are believing the wrong things. For example:
- Even unbelief is a belief (Romans 3:3). It is a belief in sense knowledge over spiritual knowledge.
- Even an atheist believes something. It is a belief that there is no God.
- Even self-pity is a belief. It is feeling sorry for yourself based on some misfortune or failure but often involves a belief that you are a victim who is powerless to do anything.
- Even discouragement is a belief. It is a belief that there is no hope and every loss is final.
- Even frustration is a belief. It is a belief you have been stopped because your goal has been blocked and you will be prevented from further success.
- Even anxiety is a belief. It is a belief that something bad will happen or something good will not happen.
- Even fear is a belief. It is a belief in a lie or False Evidence Appearing Real.
- Even rejection is a belief. It is a belief in someone else’s opinion or judgment of you instead of God’s.
The Good News is that we can change what we believe by changing what we are hearing. Romans 10:14 says, “How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?” Notice a person cannot call on the Lord unless they believe but they cannot believe if they have not heard. What we hear affects what we believe. Romans 10:17 tells us what we need to hear, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
What are you believing? All things are possible if we only believe (Mark 9:23). Take some time to hear the Word of God. Believe what God says in His Word and experience hope, joy, and peace by the power of the Holy Ghost (Romans 15:13).