2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.
Purpose is the original intent of the creator for the thing created. It is the “why” behind the existence of something. God has a purpose for everything and all of us. God has a general and specific intention for our life. We are not an accident but born of the will of God for an intended purpose (John 1:12, 13). Our purpose comes with a calling. All Believers are called according to His purpose 2 Timothy 1:9. A calling is a summons and invitation requiring a response. God drafts no one. The calling of God is to:
- SALVATION Romans 8:28-30; 1 Peter 2:5.
Salvation once received is also a calling into the fellowship of God’s Son Jesus 1 Corinthians 1:9 out of which flows knowledge and understanding of our calling to sanctification and service.
- SANCTIFICATION 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 5; 5:23, 24.
- SERVICE John 15:16; 1 Corinthians 26-28; Ephesians 2:10.
- We are to serve not just sit.
- We are to produce not just consume.
- We are to add to life on Earth not just take from it.
- It is “service” not “serve us.”
- It is “Whose needs can I meet” not “Who is going to meet my needs.”
- It is a call to be a fulltime Christian. A non-serving Christian is a contradiction of terms.