1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
The ministry of helps is listed among the list ministry and spiritual gifts. Essentially, the Greek definition for the word “Helps” used in 1 Corinthians 12:28 is, “antilepsis”, and means “rendering practical aid and support.” In a nutshell, that is the Helps Ministry, to be a “practical aid and support” for the Lord Jesus to our pastors or leaders in support of the vision and mission the Lord has given them. It is just as much a ministry and just as valuable as the other ministries listed.
Firstly, people in helps ministry are PRODUCERS not just consumers. When helps ministry is functioning, work gets done, needs are met, things are produced, and there is increase that brings blessing to people. The word produce means “to lead forward,” so when helps ministry is producing it is leading things forward. Things they are responsible for should not go backwards. Helps ministry provides what they have, the grace they have to support and render aid and assistance, to accomplish the mission of the ministry or church. They move it forward.
Secondly, people in helps ministry are PROTECTORS. When the ministry of helps is functioning in a local church it keeps a leader in the driver’s seat of the organization headed toward accomplishing its mission. It protects them from adapting down or from being put in a position to have to adapt down from the drivers seat to meet every practical need or fix every problem. All too often when the ministry of helps is not functioning things that others can do and should do get delegated up to the leader. Your leader is not the “fix it” person. Helps is a ministry designed by God to protect a leader by keeping a leader out of the implementation of all the administrative detail of the work, goals, and plans of the vision and mission and keep them into the inspiration of them. If a leader has to implement everything for anything to get done, they will lose their inspiration. They are not the legs of the vision but the mouth and inspiration of the vision. Helps functions to help a Pastor or leader avoid things that hurt the vision.
Here is something for helps ministry people to confess:
SEVEN VALUES OF A HELPS WORKER
- My number one job is to help my Pastor help people. I will not let any issue become more important than the mission.
- I will do my job faithfully as unto the Lord with a happy and helpful heart for I am a “can do” person.
- I will be great at loving, valuing, accepting, and forgiving people for they are why we help.
- As a servant and steward, I am here to: Be a producer – not a consumer. Be a giver – not a taker. Provide for, promote, and protect the vision.
- My efforts will be: Word based and Spirit led, not activity driven. Obedience oriented, not just results oriented. Love motivated, not merely duty bound.
- I will rely on godly character, passion, grace, and anointing as my qualifications and security. For I am here: to help someone – not be someone.
- I will joyfully take initiative to do my part because: Nothing just happens. If it’s to be it’s got to be me. I have what it takes to make it happen.