Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
A habit is a usual way of behaving. It is something that a person does often in a regular and repeated way. It becomes a settled tendency or usual manner of behavior and pattern acquired by frequent repetition. It can become nearly or completely involuntary. Habits are children of our choices. They aren’t just born by themselves.
Spiritually speaking, a habit is a continual pattern of yielding to the flesh (the law of sin in our members) Romans 7:18-23. A habit exists because of a continuous pattern of yieldedness Romans 6:12-19. Bad habits use to be temptations we resisted from time to time. Bad habits spring from our flesh by giving in to the power of sin or sin’s lusts (desires). You can tell it has power over you or that you are bound because you always return to it The enemy will always return you to the point of it. A dog returns to his vomit because he was made to give up something he did not want to give up 2 Peter 2:22.
BAD HABITS ARE SERIOUS
- THEY ARE BONDAGE. “While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage,” 2 Peter 2:19.
- GOD THINKS THEY WARRANT DRASTIC MEASURES. “And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell,” Matthew 5:29,30.
- THEY HOLD YOU BACK FROM FULFILLING YOUR HIGHEST POTENTIAL. “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His. And, let every one that nameth the Name of Christ depart from iniquity. But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work,” 2 Timothy 2:19-21.
- THEY LEAD TO FUTURE TROUBLE. “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting,”Galatians 6:7,8.
- THEY OPEN THE DOOR TO MORE SIN. “I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness,”Romans 6:19.
- THEY GIVE PLACE TO THE DEVIL. “Neither give place to the devil,” Ephesians 4:27.
Jesus died to deliver us from every chain of bondage, or anything that limits our freedom. The will to change is up to us but the power to change comes from Him. For a Christian who learns to live out of their new nature in Christ, a walk in the spirit (Galatians 5:17), there is not one habit that can keep its hold on them. There is also deliverance that can be received from the anointing power of God upon hearing the Word of God preached. Jesus had the anointing of the Holy Ghost upon Him “… to preach deliverance to the captives … Luke 4:18.”Once a person is delivered God’s power is able to keep them from falling back into any habit we’ve experienced deliverance from. Jude 24 says, “Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Savior, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever, Amen.”