2 Corinthians 1:24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.
The Christian life is a life of faith. Those that are saved, justified, and declared righteous are to live by faith (Romans 1:17). Our faith is always a response to God’s grace which is the finished work of God for our redemption from sin, sickness, satan, and the curse. Knowledge of our redemption comes from the Word of God as it reveals facts of our redemption and promises of our new covenant with God. Very often while believing what God’s Word says, there is no immediate change in our circumstances and what we see with our natural eyes. It is at that time we have to stand on what God’s Word says and we do that by faith, “…for by faith ye stand 2 Corinthians 1:24 (Romans 11:20).”
Standing means to stay in faith on the Word you believe, holding to it by continuing to believe it and confess it. Literally to stand means to hold up; abide; continue; persist; persevere; be of a steadfast mind; to stand ready. Figuratively the words “to stand or make a stand” speak of “one who vanquishes his adversaries and holds the ground or in the midst of the fight holds his position against his foe.”
We are exhorted in two different places in Scripture to be sure we are standing and have done all we know to do, “Let him that thinketh he stands take heed, lest he fall 1 Corinthians10:11,” and “… having done all to stand, stand therefore… Ephesians 6:13, 14.”
Every situation and circumstance we face is not always a life or death issue but when it is, we must know we are standing in faith. How do we know or how can we know when we are standing in faith? Here are some things to consider:
- I have a WORD on it (verse, promise, Bible truth I am believing) (Romans 10:17).
- I have an INNER CONFIDENCE or assurance (Hebrews 11:1, 34), an inner knowing (1 John 5:14, 15), or am fully persuaded (inner certainty) (Romans 4:21).
- I have JOY AND PEACE (Romans 15:13).
- I am at REST (a relaxed attitude of trust) and not anxious (Hebrews 4:9, 10). Where faith begins anxiety ends.
- I have A WAY OF LOOKING AT MY CIRCUMSTANCE that may not be understood by the less informed because I’m looking at the unseen (2 Corinthians 4:18) and not natural sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).
- My WORDS (2 Corinthians 4:13; Romans 4:18) AND ACTIONS (James 2:17-20) AFFIRM MY BELIEF or stand of faith; in other words, my stand of faith affects the way I talk and act.
Take the time to look up these Scriptures and assure your own heart that you are standing in faith.