Colossians 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
Jesus made forgiveness an important part of the life of faith. Faith works by love and forgiveness is an expression and release of that love. Forgiveness doesn’t excuse someone’s sinful behavior but it prevents it from controlling our enjoyment of life and keeps it from hindering our walk with God. We can’t make it through this life without God’s forgiveness for us and we cannot maintain relationships with others without it. We’re to forgive others “EVEN AS” He has forgiven us (Matthew 18:32-35; Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13). If we are to forgive “even as” we must know how He forgives:
- FORGIVES ALL THINE INIQUITIES – Psalm 103:3,8-12 (…all thine iniquities …neither will he keep His anger forever …He hath not dealt with us after our sins nor rewarded us according to our iniquities … removes our transgressions from us).
- FORGIVES THE EVIL OF THEM & OVERWHELMS THEM – Psalm 85:2 … forgives the iniquity (the fault; mischief; perversity; evil) … covered (overwhelms; conceals; hides) all their sin.
- DOES NOT MARK THEM DOWN- Psalm 130:3-4 …doesn’t mark (attend to; preserve; reserve; save; keep) iniquities.
- HIS FORGIVENESS IS MORE THAN A ONE TIME EVENT – Lamentations 3:22-2 … His compassion’s fail not … they are new every morning.
- HE IS GRACIOUS, COMPASSIONATE, SLOW TO ANGER, OF GREAT MERCY – Psalm 145:8-9 … He’s gracious, full of compassion, slow to anger, and of great mercy.
- HE IS READY TO FORGIVE AND WILL ABUNDANTLY PARDON – Psalm 86:5 … ready to forgive; Neh. 9:17… to pardon Is. 55:7 … abundantly pardon.
- HE DELIGHTS IN MERCY WHICH IS AT THE CORE OF HIS FORGIVENESS Micah 7:18-19 …pardons iniquity … passes by the transgression … retains not His anger … delights in mercy … subdue iniquities; cast them into the depths of the sea.
- CHOOSES NOT TO REMEMBER THEM Hebrews 8:12 … He’ll be merciful to our unrighteousness. Hebrews 10:17 … our iniquities He’ll remember no more… He chooses not to remember.