As we begin the New Year for many it means the custom of making New Year’s resolutions. There seems to be something about the New Year that makes people feel they can get a fresh start and do better than the previous year. Making New Year’s resolutions is not contrary to the Bible as long as we are seeking to change according to God’s will or resolutions on what matters to God. Of course for it not to fail by February we have to have the proper motivation.
Any real change starts in the heart with the right motivation.
Any real change also requires our dependence on the right source of power. Many fail in their resolutions because they are depending on their own strength instead of the Lord’s. Philippians 4:13 says we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us.
As Christians we don’t have to make New Year’s resolutions but we can wake up each day resolving or purposing to do things. I am resolved for 2017 that:
1. No matter what evil or negative events happen it is never God’s fault so I WILL NOT BLAME GOD, because God is for me Romans 8:31.
2. No matter what has happened in the past, I WILL FOCUS FORWARD, for God never consults my past to determine my future; God is a God of hope, restoration, and new things Isaiah 43:18.
3. No matter what is going on in my present circumstances it does not disqualify me from my future. I am not powerless or a victim but a victor; I WILL NOT FEEL SORRY FOR MYSELF for I am more than conqueror in Christ Jesus Romans 8:37.
4. No matter what my feelings are, I WILL MASTER MY EMOTIONS BECAUSE I CAN CONTROL MY THOUGHTS (Philippians 4:8), “For I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Philippians 4:13.
5. No matter what people do, PEOPLE CANNOT STOP ME FROM MY FUTURE unless I let it. “…for there shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life…” Joshua1:5.
6. No matter what losses happen, I will not just calculate my losses but I WILL TAKE INVENTORY OF WHAT I HAVE AS A SEED AND SOW IT TO MAKE SOMETHING GOOD TO HAPPEN. Seed (words, thoughts, actions, money, time, faith, the Word of God) is God’s gift to me to create my future and there is never a day in my life that I do not have something as a seed that I can sow Gen. 8:22; Gal. 6:7.