2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Every Christian has answered the call from the Lord to salvation. A calling is a summons and an invitation that requires a response. God drafts no one. We were chosen from before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4) and at some point in our life the Gospel came as a summons to call us to it.
All Believers are also called according to His purpose which includes His intention for our life in service to him 2 Timothy 1:9. The calling of God is also to service. God has prepared in advance or pre-planned the works of service we are to do. We aren’t just a servant in God’s house who have no rights and privileges. We are sons of God (John 1:12) with all the privileges that go with that who by love joyfully serve (Galatians 5:13, 14). Every member of the Body of Christ is:
1. Saved to serve not just sit.
2. Saved to produce not just consume.
3. Saved to add to life on earth not just take from it.
4. It is “service” not “serve us.”
5. It is “Whose needs can I meet” not “Who is going to meet my needs.”
6. It is a call to be a full-time Christian. A non-serving Christian is a contradiction of terms.