One of the reasons we can have trust in our relationship to God the Father is because He is faithful to His Word. His Word is reliable, dependable, and can be trusted. Numbers 23:19 says, “God is not a man that He should lie; neither the son of man that he should repent; hath he said and shall he not do it? Or hath he spoken and shall he not make it good.” What He says He will do, He will do. What He says He will make good, He will make good. He is faithful to His promises or commitments.
Ephesians 5:1 says, “Be ye therefore followers (imitators) of God as dear children.” To be imitators of God as God’s children, we too should be faithful to our word. This is what enables trust to exist in the relationships between us. At times that means as Psalm 15:4 says, “… sweareth to his own hurt and changeth not” This is one of the marks of a person who lives and abides in the presence of God. Very often, we say things to one another we do not intend to do. We say things to one another and then we never do them. We say things to one another, and we hope the person we said them to forgets. Faithfulness means that we do what we say we will do.
1. If we say things we cannot keep our word about, we need to go to the ones we said it to and see if we can get out of it.
2. If we say things and do not do them, we need to go and ask forgiveness from the ones we said it to.
3. If we say things we find we cannot do, at times, we need to “swear to our own hurt” and do it anyway.
4. We should not assume people will understand (assumptions are always made to the benefit of the one doing the assuming).
5. We should not assume people will forget we said it.
Faithfulness to our word helps others to know we are trustworthy. People who want others to trust them often shift the responsibility of trust onto the one they want to trust them. The reality is that the burden of trust is on the one who wants to be trusted. Trust exists where there is proven trustworthiness. They should prove themselves trustworthy and they will gain people’s trust very easily. People that are faithful to their word, who do the right thing even if it is the hardest thing, become people of integrity that are easy to trust.